Friday, December 14, 2007

Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how straight the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

----William Ernest Henley----

The poet was suffering from tuberculosis in his joints, he wrote this poem while he was on bed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

beautiful:)

★●Shadow Stalker●★ said...

Yep, those are the 2 most beautiful lines in the poem, a stunning way to conclude the piece.

-Sam.

Alan said...

Don't interrupt the sorrow suddenly came to mind, some kind of psychological play going on in my space, or slip of some kind, however.
Sorry I must disagree- I feel, we have nothing to do with our fate no matter what we think we may or circumstance might do to influence our course.
I think it is a roll of the dice that has already be thrown- win or lose.
Naturall it is all down to the idea: does God play dice?- perhaps Stephen Hawking has a view on that.
The soul is the captain of us, and to think otherwise is an inflation of the ego, which would like to "think" it is in - the driver seat - charge.
Reckless
PS: (another sudden intrusion without any relevance) If you can keep your head when all about you
are losing theirs- you haven't a bleedin' clue what's goin' on.
please forgive my babbling, must be Fri. night;-)

Pallav said...

its a relief to read the poet's name at the bottom, i read the 2nd para in some other place.

Lovely poem.

very rock n roll.

N

★●Shadow Stalker●★ said...

@ Sean,
Haha, I love your babblings (as you term them), well, I too believe that fate is something that we can't change, that we're destined to follow the path God has chosen for us to follow, but, at least we can make our lives happy by working hard & leading a satisfactory life, rather than sitting around, waiting for fate to take its own winding course.

★●Shadow Stalker●★ said...

@ Nothingman,
Hehe, I wouldn't take the credit off Henley & post it in my blog, passing it off as my own poem.

-Sam.

More About Me??

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Sign by Dealighted - Coupons and Deals